1. Favourite NHL team- Detroit Red Wings 2. If you had to pick a theme song for your team, what would it be?- We are the Champions by Queen 3. Best NHL rivalry- Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh
4. Worst trade your team has ever made-The Adam Oates trade. Ouch. 5. If you could pick the brain of any player, who would it be?-Pavel Datsyuk. 6. As of right now, who do you think is going to win the Vezina?-Sergei Bobrovsky
7. Have you ever been to a game?-Many. 8. Have you ever met a player?-Spoke to Brendan Smith during a game.
9. Favourite picture of your team-Yzerman lifting the Cup in 1997. 10. Favourite playoff moment- Brendan Shanahan hitting the empty net in 2002 Finals. 11. What network do you enjoy watching games on the most?-FSD 12. Do you think there’s any truth to the myth that Eastern Conference is somehow “better” than the Western Conference?-In some aspects of the game.
13. Would you ever forgive your captain for asking to be traded?-Depends on the situation.
14. Biggest goon in the NHL- Jordin Tootoo. 15. Best coach in the NHL- Mike Babcock…Ken Hitchcock..Barry Trotz.
16. Worst announcer- Pierre McGuire
17. Best announcer-Ken Daniels.
18. Best Mascot- THUNDERBUG!!
19. A player you’ve never really understood the appeal of- Carey Price.
20. A player you think is seriously underrated- John Tavares, unfortunately he’s stuck in the Islander market that is simply irrelevant.
21. Any player on your team you don’t like?- Patrick Eaves, Jonathan Ericsson
22. Which team has the best “behind-the-scenes” videos for their players? Anything involving Datsyuk is gold. 23. Do you think “shipping” players is okay? Or do you think it’s weird?-Fine by me.
24. Do you think shootouts have a place in the game?-I grew up with ties at the end of OT but I love the thrill of a shootout.
25. If you could change one rule in the NHL, what would it be?Goodbye, trapezoid.
26. Have you ever started cheering for another team because your favourite player was moved there?-No. 27. Have you ever taken shit from people for liking a player or a team?- People ask me why I love Tampa so much and I always defend them. 28. Best food to eat while watching hockey- Pizza.
29. If you could have any goalie on your team, who would it be?-Lundqvuist 30. If you could have any forward on your team, who would it be?- Stamkos.
31. If you could have any defenseman on your ream, who would it be?-Karlsson 32. Does the NHL hold bias against any team (in your opinion)?-They seem to jerk the Penguins and Hawks off.
33. Does fighting have a place in hockey?-Absolutely
34.Staal brothers or Schenn brothers?-Staal.
35. Lundqvist or Brodeur?-Brodeur 36. Kane or Toews?-Toews 37. Stamkos or Crosby?- STAMKOS!!! 38. Were you on the players’ side or the GMs’ side of the lockout?-Neither. 39. Have you ever been to an All-Star or Winter Classic game?-No, sir.
40. The thing that bugs you most about the sport, the fans, or the players.- There are a lot of bad fans.
As if losing Nicklas Lidstrom wasn’t a big enough blow to this Red Wings team, we are now learning that Pavel Datsyuk plans to head back home to Russia after the 2013-2014 season. To me, this is the bright, blinking sign in the sky that tells us that things are not going to be the same around Hockeytown for some time. First off, Datsyuk isn’t exactly a young player to begin with, so I’m curious if there was a backup plan from Ken Holland for when this time came. Unfortunately, I don’t think there is much of a plan. The organization failed to plan for the departure of Lidstrom and it would appear that they are failing to plan for the departure of the most dynamic two-way player in the organization. This past summer, the Wings organization attempted to throw out big money to Ryan Suter and Zach Parise and failed to a Minnesota Wild team that has become pretty damn good at not getting past the second round in the playoffs. So after failing to sign these two (who were way overpaid anyway), one would think that they would attempt to sign Alexander Semin….NOPE. Instead, they decided that Jordin Tootoo deserved 1.9 million to drop the gloves and contribute nothing offensively. But Tootoo wasn’t the only bogus decision last summer. I’m aware that the unrestricted free agent pool wasn’t very deep this past summer, but why the hell would the Wings sign Mikael Samuelsson for 3 million a year, Carlo Colaiacovo for 2.5 million a year and extend Todd Bertuzzi’s contract for another 2 years at 2.075 per season. Let’s break that down..Samuelsson is 36 years old and has certainly taken a big step back from what he was during his last tenure in Detroit. Colaiacovo has yet to play a full season at this point in this career because the man could throw out his shoulder from just signing with a team and Bertuzzi is 38 years old and cannot seem to stay healthy. I’m sorry, but there had to be younger, better talent available in free agency, especially with the amount of money this team had available. They are now stuck with aging experienced players that cannot stay healthy and young players with hardly any NHL experience and let’s be honest, Cory Emmerton should probably still be in Grand Rapids. Now this team is left with awful contracts and the bitter taste of the Kyle Quincey trade that should’ve never happened. I’m terrified that Ken Holland will see one good season from Damien Brunner and try to lock him up for life like he did with Johan Franzen….so glad we’re stuck with that contract. For as long as I’ve been around, I’ve never had a reason to worry about this team and the direction it’s heading in, but there’s a first for everything. Hockeytown has been spoiled for so long with such great teams, but I fear that it’s the beginning of a rebuild in Detroit.
Post with 10 notes
I think i’ve seen you a thousand times before. I see you’ve got that stupid ass flat brimmed 59/50 hat and a beer pong champion shirt. Oh what’s that, you’ve gone all out and pulled out the bright white nikes and you’re sure to freak out at the sign of dirt on them. Please don’t tell me you also own something with Bob Marleys untalented face on it…oh you do? Are those pubes on your chin or just the sure sign of the inability to grow real facial hair? You’re that guy that refers to girls as “bitches” and you without a doubt have Lil’ Wayne blasting in your ‘89 Toyota that barely starts but you think is badass cause you have a retarded ass system in it. Yea that’s cool and all that people can hear you coming from a mile down the road but you look like a retard. Ahhh that’s so cool that you wear your pants half way off your ass too, cause nothing says “hire me” like your ass cheeks hanging out your pre-ripped jeans. You’re that guy that always came to school on mondays back in high school and made sure you gave a public announcement about how fucked up you got and how you were “smashin’ on these bitches.” So classy! It’s funny to me cause I know that this guy is going to be unhappy in just a few years. They’re the ones that won’t grow up..the ones that dumb girls will grow up because of…and the ones that will probably serve me some fast food in about 10 years. This post isn’t aimed at anyone in particular, just a good majority of the guy population that is fucking retarded and typical. The bro’s of the high school days will be the losers of the career years :)
Post with 8 notes
As of yesterday, the Wings have their captain and top defenseman back on a 1 year deal. Though I would have been happier to see him sign between 4.5 and 5.5 million, I am excited for his return and what I believe will be his final season in the NHL. The reason I wanted to see Lidstrom sign for less is simply to clear up some cap space for when July 1st rolls around. I don’t want to see the Wings fall in the same direction of resigning Holmstrom, Maltby, Lebda and Williams. There was a reason why the Red Wings could not make it through the 2nd round and it needs to be corrected.
Among the 4 current Red Wings that are Unrestricted Free Agents this summer, the player I would like to see without a contract offer from the Wings is Brett Lebda. I believe the Red Wings need to focus on the future of their defense with players like Lidstrom and Rafalski approaching retirement. To replace Brett Lebda, my dream would be for the wings to pursue Defenseman Anton Volchenkov (currently a UFA of the Ottawa Senators.) Volchenkov is an outstanding shot blocker, something I find to be crucial when you are starting a young goalie. The Wings were outshot far too much, seemed strange to see because we here in Detroit aren’t too familiar with that.
Though it would be sad to see, I am hoping that Ken Holland does not offer contracts to Tomas Holmstrom and Kirk Maltby. I have grown up with these two forwards being red wings for as long as i’ve watched hockey and it would be strange to see them go BUT I don’t feel that a good team is one that feels the need to cater to players that have spent most of their careers in one city. Depending on how the Wings are looking financially on July 1st and depending on how much the NHL salary cap increases. I believe that Ruslan Fedotenko would be a great fit for our organization, despite his latest stint in Shittsburg…i mean Pittsburg. Another good fit for the wings offense would be current Tampa Bay Lightning Alex Tanguay.
Another hot topic in the Wings organization as of lately is Steve Yzerman’s departure to Tampa Bay to become the General Manager of the Lightning. I’ve heard plenty of mixed opinions on his new career, thanks mostly to 97.1 The Ticket. Mostly I have heard that Red Wings fans are proud of Steve and wish him all the best, then there are those that are against his decision. I was stunned to hear some people go as far as calling Steve a “traitor” and even one man suggested the removal of Steve Yzerman’s retired number in the Joe Louis Arena rafters. I for one am very proud and excited about Yzerman’s new career. The fact that he would like to remain in the NHL and pursue a dream is not something we should be mad at him about. This is almost as irrelevant as Red Wings fans hating him for hugging Crosby after the gold medal game of the Olympics. Best case scenario, Steve Yzerman learns a lot while managing my second favorite NHL team, the Tampa Bay Lightning, and he returns to Detroit when Ken Holland is ready to hang it up.
My feelings for the 2010-2011 season are actually pretty good. Why you might ask? Simply because I would not expect the Chicago Blackhawks to remain as a top threat in the West, Stanley Cup or not. The hawks are keeping their core of Kane and Toews around but much like the Red Wings in ‘09, they’re going to need to let go of some people to clear up some cap space. San Jose is still San Jose and cursed apparently. But in all seriousness, the sharks have an important off season this summer. Some key free agents for the Sharks this off season include Patrick Marleau, Rob Blake, Evgeni Nabokov. Restricted Free Agents include Joe Pavelski and Devin Setoguchi. The price for Pavelski is going up, no doubt about that. Makes me wish the Red Wings had room to squeeze him in but we all know that’s impossible.
Love my wings, let me know what you think!
Page 1 of 2